How to Make a Small Bathroom Look Bigger
The complexities of daily life are requiring larger bathrooms more than ever to accommodate a multitude of demands. With careful planning even a small bathroom can feature all of the amenities to meet your needs. The easiest and least expensive way to improve a small bathroom is to make it look larger than it really is.
If you really need MORE space, and building a whole new bathroom is out of the question, you may want to consider enlarging your current bath. First see if you can grab space from a closet or an adjacent room. If this is not an option, think about bumping out an exterior wall. You may be able to add as much as 2 feet to your bath without having to add to your homes’ foundation.
- Neutralize the paint color scheme with pastels, whites, and other soft colors that reflect light and make a room seem larger. Go light on the walls and lighter on the ceiling.
- If you have trim, make the trim disappear by painting it a shade similar to the walls. Dark colors pull the space together, so save them for accents and interest such as fixtures.
- Accentuate the horizontal walls with elements such as vanity tops and/or single shelves.
- Painted or tiled stripes play tricks with space, making it seem wider than it really is.
- Lighten up the room by treating windows as the portals. If you must cover them, use shades that lend privacy without blocking out light.
- Think small and opt for small tiles on the floor rather than larger ones.
- For the biggest impact, use mirrors. Horizontal mirrors make your space appear double the size. Save the vertical floor to ceiling mirror for your bedroom!
Small bathrooms can be cozy when built with the correct layout. A bathroom remodel allows you to design and build the best bathroom for your space. The posibilities are literally endless. Our article How Much Does A Bathroom Remodel Cost explains the different bathroom remodel price points in depth, and describes how there are "different budgets for diifferent bathrooms".
If you want to learn more about bathroom remodeling you can check out these additional articles:
- Affordable Bathroom Remodel Ideas
- Why Bathroom Remodel Costs Vary So Much: Four Important Considerations
- How to Get Started on a Bathroom Remodel
We really hope you enjoyed this article and picked up some ideas for your small bathroom remodel project. Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below, your feedback allows us to create content that you actually want to see.