The first thing you should do when planning a bathroom remodel is set a budget you can afford; the last thing you want is to design a bathroom you can’t afford to build. Remodeling a bathroom can be expensive in Southern California. Although Home Advisor says the average bathroom remodel in California is approximately $14,000 to $18,000, the truth is that every bathroom is different. Remodeling a small bathroom will be less expensive than remodeling a large master bathroom. There are different budgets for different bathrooms. So how do you know how much a bathroom remodel will cost? We have a handy bathroom cost calculator to help you figure it out.
2021 Update: The Pandemic & 'Texas Freeze' have caused material shortages and an increase in raw material prices. Everything from cabinets, flooring, concrete, paint, adhesives, and lumber have increased in price since 2020. Be prepared to pay 15% to 30% more for a bathroom remodel in 2021/2022. Source: Wall Street Journal
Download our calculator to gain a better idea of what your bathroom remodel will cost. It’s easy to use (it’s a formulated spreadsheet) all you have to do is input your target budget, and it will automatically calculate a proposed budget for each task that is required to successfully complete your bathroom remodel. This is only a guidance tool! In order to truly know what your bathroom remodel will cost, you’ll need to design it… How do you know how much you will spend if you don’t know what materials and labor are involved?
Our bathroom remodel cost calculator is based on data collected from our past bathroom remodeling projects. For over 15 years we have helped hundreds of homeowners in Southern California completely transform their bathrooms into a space they actually want to spend time in. This is an honest comparison for materials and labor. However, keep in mind that because it’s an estimate, it does not include permit costs, sales tax, or remediation.
(there’s a bathroom design to fit every budget)
Bathroom Remodel Price Ranges
Just as we mentioned earlier, bathroom remodeling costs in SOCAL tend to be higher than the national average. You should expect to pay more than the prices you might see on HGTV, DIY Network, Houzz, or Home Advisor. Based on our past projects in the South Bay region of Los Angeles, you should expect to fit within the three price ranges below.
- Basic level $22,000- $25,000.00 ($29,000 to $33,000 for 2021)
- Low cost plumbing fixtures (the type you find in Home Depot, Lowes, or hardware stores).
- Prefabricated cabinets.
- Porcelain tiles.
- No walls being moved.
- No change to the foot print. That means that the vanity, shower and toilet remain in the same spot.
- Perhaps a recessed light in the shower is added with a new vanity light.
- The vent fan is replaced.
- Mid-Level $25,000- $33,000 ($35,000 to $42,000 for 2021)
- Superior quality plumbing fixtures usually found at stores like Fergusons. Heavy brass faucets for the sower and vanity are offered.
- Shower system may have multifunction diverted, temperature setting, and hand wand. An upgraded shower head tops off these new fixtures.
- Tile options for walls usually are either porcelain tile or travertine.
- The vanities can be higher quality prefabricated cabinets or smaller custom vanities. At the higher end of this spectrum vanities may have been moved or custom made.
- The tub/shower combo is replaced in the same place with a shower only. The shower may have some niches for custom storage, a bench with a stone top surface and a frameless shower enclosure.
- A lighting upgrade is also included with new circuits for lighting and counter plugs.
- A ventilation system with a moisture sensor is added.
- Luxury Level $35,000- $45,000 ($43,000 to $56,000 for 2021)
- This type of bathroom is specifically designed and built to give clients an “in home spa experience.”
- Shower with wall jets, and ceiling rain showers. Jet tubs with built in heaters are also commonly installed.
- Custom vanities are comparable to a piece of fine furniture. The cabinetry offers custom storage layouts, and cubbies to store your toiletries.
- Wall tiles can vary form limestone, marble, granite, or natural stone.
- Custom benches topped with exotic stones.
- Frameless shower enclosure.
- Requires a lot of change to the existing footprint.
(Don’t be afraid to consider prefab cabinets & vanities)
How to Cut Your Bathroom Remodel Costs
We know it’s expensive, but don’t be discouraged! There are a few ways you can save some money on your bathroom remodeling. Here are 4 tips to help get you your ideal bathroom.
- Go Big - In this case, the larger the tile the easier it is to install, your bathroom will look great and you’ll save some money. Subway tile is your best friend. Going big might sound counterintuitive but smaller tile like penny tile, hexagonal tile, or mosaics are harder to install. Their installation is tedious and very time consuming, so expect to pay more on labor and installation.
- Don’t Move - Moving walls, pipes, drainage, and windows will dramatically increase the cost of your bathroom remodel. Changing the structure or layout of the bathroom will require engineering plans and permits to be pulled. This will also increase the total length of the remodel project.
- Think fab, Prefab - If you want to save as much money as possible you’ll can forget about a custom vanity. Custom cabinets and vanities are expensive, the good news is that you’ll have no problem finding a great prefab vanity at Home Depot, Lowes, or Builders Surplus. There are plenty of great options that you can grab right off-the-shelf
- DIY Demo - Would you rather save some money or save yourself from physical injury? Demolition is an integral part of home remodeling that is best left to professionals. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could break something you aren’t supposed to, or worse you’ll injure yourself. That means you’ll miss work and you’ll also lose some income. Save yourself a headache and let a professional handle it.
For over 15 years Bay Cities Construction has helped hundreds of homeowners with their bathroom remodels. When you hire Bay Cities Construction you don’t just hire a contractor, you hire an entire team of Pros. With several years of experience, our team has the expertise to help you with Interior Design, Architectural and Engineering Services, City Representation, Permit Processing, and Construction services. If you think Bay Cities Construction is the right team for you, contact us today. We will help you design, engineer, and build your dream bathroom.
Ready to take the next step? We’re certain that Bay Cities Construction is the best general contractor for your project, you can Schedule an Appointment by clicking HERE. We offer a complimentary 1-hour consultation at our office, so you can meet our team and we can discuss your bathroom remodeling project. Our team of Pros can help you design and build the spa-bathroom your dreams. If you have been disappointed by other contractors, it's time to call one of the best home remodelers in the South Bay.