When I go into a meeting, the first question everyone wants to know is “how much is it going to cost to remodel my kitchen?” Explaining this, is one of the most complex things to do.
There are many factors that affect the cost of a kitchen remodel. Basic construction issues will always arise, like repairs, client selections for cabinets, appliances, tile/stone, or whether or not things plumbing and/or electrical need to be moved around, and adding space. All of these factors determine the true cost.
I have separated the kitchen remodel costs into three different ROUGH estimated budgets; basic, modest, and upscale.
1. The Basic Kitchen Remodel:
Basic does not have to be boring. You can spice up your kitchen by paying attention to the details that go into it such as paint colors and the back splash.
This will cost about $20,000 to $30,000 if it is done by a professional (which of course it always should be). So what does a basic kitchen renovation entail?
- Keeping the same structure of your current kitchen- By leaving the appliances and fixtures in the same location and keeping the shape of your kitchen intact, there will be little to redo in the plumbing and electrical department.
- Lighting- We all love recessed lighting, but the bulbs in that alone can be costly. Instead, buy fixtures that will illuminate the space efficiently.
- Basic Appliances- Oven and fridge basically. No additional(s) such as built-in appliances, warming drawers, wine coolers, microwave drawers, etc.
- Backsplash and Flooring- This is where a good chunk of your money will go. Some contractors recommend generic tile and vinyl flooring. We on the other hand suggest something nice. We’ll definitely help you pick out the best quality for your buck. We understand that these two very important factors can make or break your happiness with your kitchen.
- Refinished Cabinetry- Keep your costs low by reusing your existing cabinets. Examine your existing cabinets to determine the state of their condition. This will decipher if they’re even worth refinishing. With refinished cabinets, you can totally change the look of them to look different and brand new. Just speak with your contractor for your options.
- Stylish details- You can incorporate glass on your cabinet doors to give your kitchen a modern feel at minimal costs.
- Countertops- Laminates have changed a lot in appearance over the years. They’re way nice now. Although it’s not our most favorite material, if your concern is pricing and you want low cost, this is probably your counter. Another low cost option is ceramic tile. One issue with ceramic tile is during the cleaning. It’s hard to clean in between the grout when it’s dirty. Now a days it’s a lot easier to find affordable granite. So if you can afford it, granite is your best choice as far as looks and cleaning.
2. The Modest Kitchen Remodel:
Do you need to change the layout of your kitchen for more space or a kitchen island? This will generally cost you around $40,000 to $75,000. What does a modest kitchen entail?
- Reshape your Space- Everything in your kitchen will be gutted to make way for your new spacious kitchen. This includes the moving of plumbing and electrical
- Appliances- New and professional appliances. Anything from a 48-inch built-in stainless steel refrigerator to a 48-inch cooktop with grille and griddle to the 30-inch double convection ovens. This kitchen remodel is definitely made from those who love to cook and spend time in their kitchen.
- Custom Island- We love kitchen islands. They can be used for so many different things.
- Custom Cabinets- Inset doors of your color choice with a custom stain and glaze in nonstandard sizes with all the accessories that make for a beautiful and functional kitchen.
- Designer Hardware- Find nice knobs and fixtures that will complement the style of your kitchen.
- Flooring- Wood, tile or a stone floor will be a little more costly but it will pull the style of your kitchen together.
- Stone Counters and Tiled Backsplash- A quartz or natural stone material such as granite will be slightly expensive. But again, the counter tops, backsplash, and flooring are what make your kitchen. So try to save most of your budget for this part of your kitchen remodel. Another good reason to go with a stone is that it lasts such a long time. You probably will never have to replace it while you’re living in that home.
- Custom Storage- Storage! Storage! Storage! Storage is so important now a days. With custom cabinets your storage possibilities are endless. If you want cabinets designed to handle small appliances with drop-down doors that give extra counter space, custom is your best choice.
3. Upscale Kitchen Remodel:
This type of kitchen is a cooks dream. If you enjoy cooking and would love a chief’s style kitchen, this is for you. However, it will also cost you a pretty penny. This upscale kitchen remodel will cost you $100,00 and up. What does an upscale kitchen entail?
- Reshape the Space- Just like with the moderate kitchen, the upscale kitchen remodel will be gutted to accommodate more space as well as the electrical and plumbing for new appliances.
- Architecture- Tall ceilings, crown moldings, glass windows, architectural details that will complete this kitchen.
- Materials and Accessories- There is no skimping when it comes to the quality of the materials used for this kitchen. Only the best of the best. This includes flooring, stone counters, lighting fixtures, plumbing fixtures, cabinet knobs, and so on.
- Custom Cabinetry – Every piece of custom cabinetry is made specifically for this kitchen and its corners. Well-crafted cabinetry for all kinds of storage and convenience.
- Chiefs Stove- They can be quite expensive but they are a cooks dream. They are known for their style and excellent function.
- Backsplash- This is not just a generic backsplash. This is beautiful mosaic piece that goes behind the cooking area and draws attention to your kitchen. Be careful, the piece you choose can either make your kitchen look larger or smaller.
- Appliances- In wall ovens and custom cabinetry to conceal the larger appliances like a microwave, coffee maker, etc.
- The Details- The details are in the sink style, the stone edge style, the door knob style, and the faucet. These are the smallest things out of your entire kitchen remodel, but they are the finishing touches to your dream kitchen.
It’s easy to envision your dream kitchen, but when the money is tight and you start the remodeling process, your dream kitchen slowly assembles into something else. Make sure you and the general contractor are in constant communication to ensure the decision choices are in keeping within your budget. A good contractor will thoroughly plan out the job before it has been awarded so that the true cost of the project is reflected and not just an estimate.